Thursday, October 7, 2010

Book of Mormon, 2 Nephi, Chapter 4 "The Psalm of Nephi"


chapter 4 summary
Lehi gives a father's blessing to all of his grandchildren and to his posterity collectively. He blesses them to keep the commandments so they may inherit the land and be blessed. Lehi dies. A few days later, Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael begin to murmur and are angry with Nephi because of his words on behalf of the Lord. Nephi writes the things of his soul upon the plates, which we now refer to as the Psalm of Nephi.

stand-out scripture
4:20-25    20 My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.  21 He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh.  22 He hath confounded mine enemies, unto the causing of them to quake before me.  23 Behold, he hath heard my cry by day, and he hath given me knowledge by visions in the night-time.  24 And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and ministered unto me.  25 And upon the wings of his Spirit hath my body been carried away upon exceedingly high mountains. And mine eyes have beheld great things, yea, even too great for man; therefore I was bidden that I should not write them.
Simply beautiful. The whole psalm is so heartfelt and dedicated. "Nephi would have been familiar with the psalm form as well as with many of the psalms in the Old Testament. It would be natural for him to 'write the things of [his soul]' (v.15) and the expressions of his joy and his sorrow in this highly beautiful, poetic form (Book of Mormon Student Manual, p.25). Don't I do the same thing today? When my heart is overflowing with gratitude for my Savior and my blessings, or if I need comfort, support, or answers, I pray to my Heavenly Father and write my feelings in my journal. It is so natural.

I have to realize and recognize what Nephi was going through. He had just lost his father. His brothers were rebelling again. He was now the leader of his people both spiritually and physically. Soo much must have been pressing on his mind. What a weight to carry, what sorrow for his brethren. What fear for his life and safety and the safety of his extended family who were righteous. Is it any wonder that Nephi would pour out his soul to his Savior?


4:27-28   And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?   28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

Nephi also sorrows during his psalm because of his flesh. I related to this passage personally just yesterday. I am told in my Patriarchal Blessing to remember and practice patience, kindness and understanding with my family, and especially with my children. While I know I am not cruel, I know I do have tendencies to snap and expect things done right away in my way when I say. I am quick to judge, quick to lose my temper and quick to snap. And I hate it. I pray almost daily for guidance in changing these bad habits and characteristics. I pray sincerely to change them into praiseworthy attributes. But I often fall short.

I cried and cried yesterday because I did what I had prayed and promised I wouldn't do. I lost patience, I lost my temper, I snapped at my husband. It is frustrating, for both my husband and me. Probably more so for him since he is on the end of my remarks.

Like Nephi, I was so frustrated with my flesh: my tendencies to sin and err. I related to his exclamation: "O wretched man that I am!" (v. 17). Why do we allow ourselves to give in and stray from what we know is right? I have a choice. I choose the way I act. So why am I choosing to snap at my husband? I don't mean to. But I do it. So then I feel guilty for being human. For sinning. For breaking a promise I made only hours ago. And then for breaking that promise constantly.

But I know that my Heavenly Father loves me. He does not expect me to perfect. But He does expect me to try. To work daily to grow closer to Him, to repent and try, try again. Enduring to the end. So each morning I have to say, "Awake my soul!" And put mind over matter. We can control our tendencies if we put full faith in our Savior and do all we can to strive for perfection.

And though the flesh is weak, I am so grateful for my body and my life here on this earth. To have trials and experience mortality to become like my Heavenly Parents. For now, I have three goals: Patience, Kindness, Understanding.
"The nearer man approaches perfection, the clearer are his views, and the greater his enjoyments, till he has overcome the evils of his life and lost every desire for sin; and like the ancients, arrives at that point of faith where he is wrapped in the power and glory of his Maker and is caught up to dwell with Him."  --Prophet Joseph Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment